The Chautauqua County Sheriff’ Office says a fire alarm at the school went off at about 1:30 a.m. and the Falconer Fire Department along with other area fire departments responded to the scene.
The fire companies dealt with a heavy smoke issue inside the school upon their arrival. A short time later the fire was found in the custodian work shop area in the basement of the school and was quickly extinguished.
The fire was investigated and found to be a contained to a plastic garbage can inside this custodian work shop area. It was determined to be accidental due to a spontaneous combustion of mineral oil saturated cotton rags confined in a plastic garbage can.
No fire damage to the building observed.