The incident took place at about 5:45 a.m. Monday in a trailer home at 3083 Old Chautauqua Road.
By the time firefighters from Sinclairville arrived, the resident –whose name is not being released – had already driven himself to a nearby residence. He was then flown by Starflight Helicopter to the Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo for treatment of burns over a large portion of his body.
An investigation at the residence showed that a heating appliance was too close to bedding materials, igniting the fire.
Police say no one else was inside the home.