BEMUS POINT – Residents and visitors in Bemus Point are being forced to go elsewhere if they want to escape the heatwave by taking a dip in Chautauqua Lake.
The public beach in Bemus Point was closed Thursday after the County Health Department found unsafe levels of blue-green algae. The closure came just a day after the health department issued a blue-green algae alert for all of Chautauqua Lake. Blue-green algae is a bacteria that creates a toxin. Ingesting it is harmful to your health. Health officials say the warm weather brings with it more blue-green algal blooms.
Experts advise people and animals to stay out of the water where the blooms are found.