A Jamestown man has lost his life early Sunday morning following a fire on the city’s south side.
The Jamestown Police Department says the Jamestown Fire Department was called to the area of Myrtle St. just after 1 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report of a smoke in the area. A short time later firefighters located a fire in the upper apartment at 119 Myrtle St. Firefighters were able to make it into the home and found a 39 year-old victim and his dog inside the apartment.
Fire and EMS crews tried to resuscitate the victim and animal at the scene but were unsuccessful. Both reportedly died as a result of heavy smoke in the apartment.
The cause of the fire has been ruled an accident as the result of food being left unattended on a stove. The name of the victim has not been released, pending notification of family.
KENNEDY FIRE CLAIMS RESIDENT’S LIFE
A 60 year-old man also died Saturday morning in a two-alarm fire in Kennedy.
The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office said William Caldwell died as a result of a fire that broke out around 9:30 a.m. at 3967 Sprague Hill Rd.
Fire crews from Kennedy and several other departments were called to scene found smoke and fire coming from the front portion of the residence. Both Caldwell and another individual were inside the home at the time. The second person, who was not identified, was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.
The fire reportedly originated in a heating furnace.