MAYVILLE – County Health officials were forced to close two beech areas on Chautauqua Lake over the weekend due to localized Harmful Algal Blooms.
A media release sent out late Friday afternoon said the HABs were observed in the south basin of Chautauqua Lake and near Long Point State Park. As a result, Lakewood Beach and Long Point State Park Beach were closed.
HABs are created when blue-green algae release toxins which can be harmful to human and animal health.
Health officials urge all residents and visitors to be cautious when using any local lake or waterway, especially if HABs are present.
Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, are naturally present in lakes. Nutrient rich runoff from surrounding land, warm water temperature, and sunshine encourages blue-green algae growth. Under the right conditions, blue-green algae form floating mats which may resemble “pea soup” or have a paint-like appearance with strong colors including blue-green, green, yellow, white, brown, purple, or red. These blooms are more likely in nearshore areas than open water areas and are known to contain higher toxin levels than those in open water.
People and pets can be exposed to toxins by contact (touching, swallowing, and inhaling) with HABs during water recreation activities, through surface water use around the house, such as watering gardens, and through drinking water.
Christine Schuyler, County Director of Health & Human Services, said, “The greatest threat to public health from HABs is when people or pets drink or otherwise ingest water directly from a lake where a bloom is occurring. Lake water that is properly treated through an approved DHHS water treatment plant does not pose a risk. Swimming or recreating in areas where the water contains high levels of toxin can cause skin irritation and other symptoms to those with high sensitivity.”
Not all blooms are hazardous but the public should use common sense and take the following precautions:
- When swimming, wading, or boating, avoid areas with blooms or surface scums, or water that is noticeably discolored.
- Do not allow young children or pets to play in water where an algal bloom is present.
- Don’t fish or eat fish caught from areas with blooms or surface scums, or water that is noticeably discolored.
- Pay attention to beach closures, advisory signs, press releases, and websites. Never swim at beaches that have been closed.
- Never drink, prepare food, cook, or make ice with untreated surface water, bloom or no bloom.
If people or pets are accidentally exposed to a bloom use clean water to rinse off as soon as possible. Consider medical attention if symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, skin irritation, allergic reactions or breathing difficulties occur after exposure to surface waters with active blooms.
The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and NYS Department of Health investigate HABs reports, sample blooms for toxins, and conduct research to learn more about HABs and toxin production.
DHHS’ Public Health Division monitors permitted bathing beaches for HABs and the indicator bacteria E. coli. To best protect the public from possible disease exposure, beaches are closed when the water exceeds bacteria safety standards and/or HABs are spotted. The status of Chautauqua County permitted public beaches and additional information about HABs are listed on the County Website at http://chautauqua.ny.us/246/Beach-Closings.
New York State and Chautauqua County have active programs to reduce the amount of nutrients, including phosphorus and nitrogen, entering streams and lakes. A watershed management plan has been developed and implemented for Chautauqua Lake to help address the issue of nutrient flow and water quality.
For more information, visit http://www.co.chautauqua.ny.us/248/Blue-Green-Algae