JAMESTOWN – The United Way of Southern Chautauqua County and 15 of its partner agencies honored special individuals Tuesday during its annual, “Volunteer of the Year Reception” at the Lillian Vitanza Ney Renaissance Center in Jamestown.
United Way hosts the program each year to honor those who give back to the community. This year the event coincides with National Volunteer Week, which takes place April 21st through April 27th.
Executive Director Tory Irgang said, “It’s fitting that we’re honoring our volunteers during this week when the whole country is recognizing volunteerism. In fact, in conjunction with the United Way of Northern Chautauqua County, and the Service Collaborative of WNY, we’re promoting a new website at www.volunteerwny.org that connects volunteers with opportunities all across western New York. This essentially is a one-stop-shop for volunteers wanting to help, and the not-for-profits that are seeking the help.”
This year, the United Way of Southern Chautauqua County recognized Nancheska Torres as its Volunteer of the Year for her contributions as a student intern through Jamestown High School’s, Youth Apprenticeship Program.
“Nancheska was truly a joy to work with,” said Irgang. “Whatever the task assigned to her she did well and she did with a positive attitude. Her attention to detail was outstanding, and she was always eager and willing to try and do new things. She’s been a great addition to the United Way team this year.”
Additional volunteers honored this year by United Way’s partner agencies included:
- Allegheny Highlands Council, Boy Scouts: Edward Schroeder
- American Red Cross: Charlie & Donna Meder
- Boys & Girls Club of Jamestown: Dan Maloney
- CBA, Vision Rehab Services: Joseph Bender
- Chautauqua Adult Day Care: Jay Destro
- Chautauqua County RSVP: Don Nelson
- Chautauqua Lake Child Care Center: Ella Ames
- Chautauqua Striders, Inc.: Marie Vos
- Court Appointed Special Advocates: Laura Wurstner
- Family Service of the Chautauqua Region, Inc: Joelle Washer
- Girl Scouts of Western New York: Judy Hunt
- Joint Neighborhood Project: Tara Eastman
- Meals on Wheels: Darrell Stein
- YMCA: Chip Swanson
- YWCA: Mary-Ann Eva Ingrao