SHERMAN – Two Sherman residents were sent to the hospital yesterday after a fire broke out in their home. The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office says James and Norma Sittnick were both taken by ambulance to Hamot Medical Center in Erie, then later flown to a Pittsburgh hospital for treatment of injuries sustained in the fire, which broke out at the couple’s home at 148 E. Main St., at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Police say the Sittnicks were trapped in the upstairs bedroom when the fire broke out. Before local firefighters could arrive, a group of roofers who were working nearby noticed the fire and brought a ladder to the couple. By then the first firefighters were on the scene and worked to help remove the couple.
Both are being treated for smoke inhalation, but no apparent burns. An investigation showed the fire started in a rear-entry room to the house and appeared to be accidental.
The Sherman Fire Department was assisted by Findley Lake, Clymer, Mayville, Chautauqua, Ashville and Bemus Point.