BEMUS POINT – A restaurant suffered significant damage Wednesday as a result of a fire that started in its kitchen.
The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office says fire crews were first called to Ye Hare ‘n Hounds Inn on Lakeside Drive just after 9 p.m. and spent the next two hours working to bring the fire under control.
According to the Post-Journal, more than 100 firefighters from several departments, including Bemus Point, assisted at the scene.
Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and due to an exhaust chimney pipe for the kitchen broiler, which was deteriorated and allowed the heat from the broiler to get into the wall studs where the fire then spread to the second floor.
The Sheriff’s Office reported that at the time of the fire the owners and other patrons were inside the restaurant, but everyone did get out and no injuries were reported. The Post-Journal is reporting that one firefighter reportedly suffered a minor injury.
The business suffered fire, water, and heat damage throughout.
The area Fire Departments responding were: Bemus Point, Chautauqua, Lakewood, Maple Springs, Ashville, Ellery Center, Fluvanna, Busti, along with the County Fire Coordinators, and Tech Rescue Fast Team Members.