MAYVILLE – All 17 incumbents in the contested races for Chautauqua County Legislature won on election night. That was due, in part, to 10 of the 19 legislature races featuring unopposed incumbents. Of the remaining 9 contested races, seven featured incumbent candidates.
Locally in Jamestown, incumbent David Wilfong (R) defeated challenger Frank Besse (D) in the District 11 race. Meanwhile in District 12, incumbent Elisabeth Rankin (R) defeated challenger Dave Reinhardt (D).
A complete list of legislative winners is provided below.
Meanwhile, in addition to 17 incumbents winning reelection, there were also two open seats up for a vote.
In District 16 – which includes the towns of Kiantone, Carroll, and Poland – John Davis (R-Frewsburg) defeated Terry Walker (D-Kennedy). That seat is currently held by Ron Lemon (R-Frewsburg) who did not seek reelection.
The closest legislative race of the night was in District 6, where Kevin O’Connell (D-Silver Creek) defeated Gary Cerne (R-Irving) 53 to 47 percent.
With the election day results, Democrats in the legislature will have picked up one seat on the legislature but will still be significantly outnumbered by nearly a 3 to 1 margin, with 14 Republican to just 5 Democrats.
Chautauqua County Legislature 2017 Election Results
- WINNER – Kevin Muldowney* (R– Dunkirk)
- James Palmatier (D-Dunkirk)
District 2 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Robert Bankoski* (D-Dunkirk)
- Robert Dando (D-Fredonia)
- WINNER – Robert Scudder* (R-Fredonia)
District 4 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Christine Starks* (D-Fredonia)
District 5 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Terry Niebel* (R-Dunkirk)
- Gary Cerne (R, Con, Ind – Irving)
- WINNER – Kevin O’Connell (D-Silver Creek)
District 7 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Mark O’Dell* (R-Brocton)
- WINNER – Pierre Chagnon* (R-Bemus Point)
- Jeri Ann Simora (D-Stow)
District 9 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Charles Nazzaro* (D-amestown)
District 10 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Paul “PJ” Wendel* (R-Lakewood)
- Frank Besse (D-Jamestown)
- WINNER – David Wilfong* (R-Jamestown)
- WINNER – Elisabeth Rankin* (R-Jamestown)
- Dave Reinhardt (D-Jamestown)
District 13 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Paul Whitford* (D-Jamestown)
District 14 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Dan Pavlock (R-Charlotte)
District 15 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Lisa Vanstrom* (R-Jamestown)
- WINNER – John Davis (R-Frewsburg)
- Terry Walker (D-Kennedy)
District 17 – Uncontested
- WINNER – Frank “Jay” Gould (R-Ashville)
- Ella Ames (D-Mayville)
- WINNER – David Himelein* (R-Findley Lake)
- Laurel Adams (D-Ripley)
- WINNER – John Hemmer* (R-Westfield)