JAMESTOWN – Monday is Halloween, and communities throughout the county will be taking part in the annual tradition of trick-or-treating (hours listed below).
To help ensure the evening remains a happy and safe one for children of all ages, local police agencies are asking residents to follow some simple safety tips:
- Remember when designing your children’s costumes that face paint is preferable to a mask.
- Masks should have adequate holes for proper respiration and peripheral vision.
- All trick or treaters should wear some sort of reflective clothing, carry a bright orange bag and carry a flashlight or glow stick to make it easier for passing cars to spot them while they walk on the sidewalk or left side of the road facing traffic.
- Young children should always be accompanied by an adult. Either a parent or older child should stay within close range at all times. Never let the children go down a street by themselves.
- Walk with the children to each house and wait in the driveway or by the door until the children return.
- Older children should travel in pairs or in groups at all times while trick or treating and should never venture down a dark, empty side street.
- Parents should know the route that their children are following. Children should always walk together to the front door of each house and never run across the street or across the yard. Dark, unlighted houses should be avoided.
- Tell your children to save all their candy until they get home.
- You should closely inspect all candy. Throw away all unwrapped candy or any suspicious looking goodies. If your child does get sick, try to determine what he or she has eaten and where it came from. Call your doctor or the hospital emergency room immediately and save all wrappers.
- Also remember that your jack-o-lantern and any electrical decorations can be fire hazards. Keep them out of the reach of small children and away from flammables such as draperies, furniture and paper decorations. Do not leave your house unattended.
TRICK OR TREAT HOURS
Trick-or-treat hours for Monday in the greater Jamestown area are as follows:
- Ashville, Cassadaga, Ellington, Gerry, Chautauqua/Mayville, Poland/Kennedy – 5 to 7 p.m.
- Carroll/Frewsburg – 5 to 8 p.m.
- Ellicott/Falconer – 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Harmony/Panama – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Celoron – 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- Jamestown, Busti/Lakewood, Ellery/Bemus – 6 to 8 p.m.
CITY FUN-FEST AT ALLEN PARK
The 32nd Annual Citywide Halloween Fun-Fest will be held tonight from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the former Allen Park Ice Rink.
The event has been planned to offer a safe, fun and no-cost alternative to trick-or-treating door to door.
The event is for children 12 years of age and under. Individuals over 12 years of age must be accompanied by a child, and children under 6 years must be accompanied by a parent or an adult.
The evening will feature games, a haunted house, refreshments, two costume judging contests (at 6:45 p.m. and 7:45 p.m.), and musical entertainment by Take 2.
There will be two grand prize winners who will receive bicycles donated by the Jamestown Cycle Shop.
Members from the Warrin’ Wrecking Dolls Roller Derby team will be the costume contest judges.
For more information about the Halloween Fun Fest, contact Julia Ciesla-Hanley at (716) 483-7523 or visit the City’s website at www.jamestownny.net.